At Crespo Mental Health, we take a positive and eclectic approach to our counseling. We invite our clients to actively participate in planning their own course of treatment. We draw from several therapeutic approaches and techniques, designing a comprehensive yet practical treatment plan to compliment their strengths, help them overcome obstacles, and realize their goals.
We are also able to collaborate with psychiatrists and other mental health professionals to ensure our clients receive the best treatment plan possible.
At Crespo Mental Health, we counsel children, adolescents, adults, couples, families, active duty military personnel, law enforcement and civil service personnel. We work with foster agencies, social workers and schools, and provide written reports to these agencies when appropriate.
Our services include the following:
Individual therapy is the most common modality of treatment. In individual therapy, the client and the therapist meet together to explore the concerns that brought the client to seek counseling.
Individual sessions are 45 minutes long and are usually held on a weekly basis. The topics discussed during the sessions can include anxiety, depression, conflict in relationships, difficulty managing stress, grief and loss, parenting difficulties, and many other issues. This modality of treatment might be the most beneficial for those individuals who are seeking to understand themselves more, address personal concerns, and develop coping skills to manage a variety of life experiences.
Couples Therapy is the treatment modality in which two partners seek counseling due to conflict in their relationship. The sessions are 45 minutes long and are usually held on a weekly basis. The most common goals in couples therapy are: to improve communication and conflict resolution skills, explore and heal past wounds, increase intimacy and trust, and overcome a myriad of obstacles. The ultimate goal is to guide the couple into a healthy, mutually beneficial relationship.
At Crespo Mental Health we offer counseling for heterosexual, same-sex, married, separated, and unmarried couples.
There are many reasons that can bring a family into counseling. When one member of the family is struggling it has a ripple effect on the other members which upsets the family dynamic. Some of the most common causes for seeking family therapy are: marital conflict or separation, behavioral problems in children, loss of a family member, relocation, conflicting parent-child relationship, and others.
In this modality of treatment, the therapist will meet with the members of the family as a whole and discuss the family concerns while incorporating all the different perspectives. Family sessions are 45 minutes long and are usually held on a weekly basis.
Group therapy is a type of psychotherapy that usually involves one or more therapists and several clients meeting together. Our groups can be as small as three or as large as eight participants.
Group sessions are typically one hour long and held bi-weekly. Despite encouraging commitment and consistent attendance to the group from the beginning, our groups remain open. In open groups, participants are welcomed to join any time after completing the screening process.
At Crespo Mental Health we offer group therapy in conjunction with individual therapy to best serve our clients. We offer a variety of groups including Women’s Group, Men’s Group, Teen’s Group, Coping Skills Group, and Play Therapy Group among others. The specific manner in which the sessions are conducted depends largely on the goals of the group and the participants.
Reasons to Use Group Therapy
The key advantages to group therapy include¹:
- Group therapy allows people to receive the support and encouragement of the other members of the group. People participating in the group are able to see that there are others going through the same thing, which can help them feel less alone.
- Group members can serve as role models to other members of the group. By seeing someone who is successfully coping with a problem, other members of the group can see serve as a role model and support figure for others. This can help foster feelings of success and accomplishment.
- Group therapy offers a safe haven. The setting allows people to practice behaviors and actions within the safety and security of the group².
- By working in a group, the therapist can see firsthand how each person responds to other people and behaves in social situations. Using this information, the therapist can provide valuable feedback to each client.
Please contact us if you are interested in learning more about our group therapy options.
1Dies, R.R. (1993). Research on group psychotherapy: Overview and clinical applications. In Anne Alonso & Hillel I. Swiller (Eds.), Group therapy in clinical practice. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.
2Manor, O. (1994). Group psychotherapy. In Petrūska Clarkson & Michael Pokorny (Eds.), The handbook of psychotherapy. New York, NY: Routledge.
Crespo Mental Health offers testing for the following:
- Personality Testing
- Psychological Evaluations
- Intelligence Testing
- ADHD/ADD Evaluations
- Evaluations for College Board Accommodations
Please contact us if you are interested in learning more about our testing services.
We offer consultations for schools, agencies, and therapists. Consulting may encompass any of the following services:
- Review and explanation of School Testing Reports, Special Education Services, IEP Process
- Assistance in Determining Retention vs. Promotion into Next Grade Level
- School/Classroom Observations
- Child Advocacy at School Meetings
- Collaboration with Other Therapists, Professionals, Schools and Agencies
Please contact us if you are interested in scheduling Crespo Mental Health for a consultation.
We enjoy presenting workshops for the benefit of our clients and the community at large. Workshops can cover many topics and can also be tailored to clients depending on their needs. Some of our workshops include but are not limited to:
- Parenting Skills Training
- Improving Charisma
- Anger Management
- Coping Skills and Stress Management Training
Please contact us if you are interested in learning more about our workshops.